Sunday, June 14, 2009

Album Review:Q-Tip "The Renaissance"

Photobucket

After getting Q-Tips Amplified album back in 2006 (I know that's really late to be listening to that album but I'm only 17, which means i was only in the first or second grade when that album originally came out, and i didn't even know who the hell Q-tip was.) Anyway, after giving that CD away to a friend, I made a promise to myself to only listen to Q-Tip within A Tribe Called Quest, believing that Tip couldn't carry a whole album. After seeing the video for the first single "Getting Up", and being forced to hear this album from a friend (Who's a huge Q-Tip fan.) I found myself pleasantly surprised by what i heard, and within the next day i bought the album. Here's my thoughts on the album...

1. "Johnny Is Dead"
No intros to be found here, just Tip rapping about random stuff. The beat isn't as great as the other songs on the album,but its decent enough. I like the hook, and the way the beat switches up during it.

2. "Won't Trade"
Decent production, I'm guessing it's about Q-Tip not trading in his morals, for fame and money. My favorite part is when he Say's

"The physical ability with mental capability
Legitimately faces me outside of your vicinity
And I ain’t really seeing’ me Vacating this community"

Love it!!

3. "Getting' Up"
The first single. Waaay better than "Vibrant Thang". This is easily the best produced song on here.(At least in my opinion). I love this song, and the video was pretty creative also.

4. "Official"
My second favorite song on the album, I like the beat on this one too. I also like the way Tip flows on this song, the hook is really creative too.

5. "You"
I love this song, it has a nice vibe to it, and it gives me a peaceful feeling. I don't really mind hearing Q-Tip Sing in the background, as he can actually hold a Melody. (Looks squarely at Lil Wayne)

6. "We Fight/We Love" (featuring Raphael Saadiq)
It seems like Q-Tip is really back into the whole love movement that he started back on Tribes last album, as this is the fourth song in a row about it. Raphael Saadiq's hook is decent enough.

7. "Manwomanboogie" (featuring Amanda Diva)
Dumbass title aside, this is actually a nice upbeat song, that helps the album from becoming a snoozer. I'm indifferent to Amanda Diva's hook though.

8. "Move/Renaissance Rap"
The second single, The video is kinda low budget, but this is a good song that would probably sound even better Live.

9. "Dance on Glass"
Starts off with a brief a cappella from Q-Tip, the hook is annoying as fuck, but otherwise this is a decent song.

10. "Life Is Better" (featuring Norah Jones)
This song has a good vibe, and Norah Jones is a good singer (In small doses). Tip takes his sweet as time to actually rap though, as he shows up halfway though the song. Tip names all his favorite rappers in a creative verse, so i guess that a good trade off.

11. "Believe" (featuring D'Angelo)
Every one's favorite drug addict comes up with a good hook. The beat is
pretty creative too. This is just Q-tip philosophising on Religion and what it means to believe.

12. "Shaka"
Easily the most Tribe like track on the album, and that's why i like it (Yea I'm biased)

This is easily the album that all Q-Tip fans have been waiting for. For the most part, the production is top notch, and while it may not be on the same level as any of the tribe records, it's probably the closest were gonna get to it.

Score:90 out of 100

No comments:

Post a Comment